One Man Scandal
Wednesday August 31st, 2011
* The scene opens up showing Shawn Winters sitting in an outside patio area of a restaurant with a couple empty plates in front of him. He’s wearing a pair of old jeans, a t-shirt, and his favorite 10 year old Atlanta Braves baseball hat that’s dirty to all hell. The waitress walks over to the table. *
Waitress - Were we all finished here?
* Shawn doesn’t pay much attention to her while he checks his phone and waves for her to go away. The waitress grabs the plates and walks away. Right then Shawn’s sister Brooke walks back and rejoins Shawn at the table. Shawn puts his phone away. *
Brooke - Thanks again for not drinking. I know how hard that probably was for you.
Shawn - Well it is 12:30 in the afternoon…usually I have a good buzz when I get lunch. I’m already on edge right now I need some sort of narcotic in my system.
Brooke - Well…um…was hoping you’d be in a better mood with some food in you. And no where near any alcohol before I told you this.
Shawn - Brooke…
Brooke - I’m pregnant.
Shawn - WHAT?!
Brooke - Sorry! After your friends showed up I kinda of went by the pool and there was Porno Lad hiding in there for me and it was so flattering.
Shawn - PORNO LAD GOT YOU PREGNANT?!
Brooke - No…some guy a few weeks ago did. He’s in one of my classes.
Shawn - BROOKE?! WHAT THE HELL?!
Brooke - Kidding! I’m not pregnant.
Shawn - What about Ethan?
Brooke - That…well that happened but we didn’t have sex.
Shawn - Don’t screw with me like that. There wasn’t any bad news was there?
Brooke - Actually there is but it’s not as bad so at least I was able to lower your expectations a bit….Hannah’s here. I saw her when I came back from the bathroom.
Shawn - ….what?
Brooke - Hannah…she’s here…with a guy.
* Shawn starts looking around to try and get a glimpse of her. Shawn hasn’t seen his wife since he was too drunk and high to realize what was going on. That was the turning point for Hannah in filing the divorce papers. Shawn has yet to sign them because he refuses to believe that there is no hope. *
Holy shit…I’m looking everywhere to try and see her frantically but I’m in the verge of having a heart attack because my heart is seriously in my throat right now. It’s pounding a mile a minute and it feels like it weighs a ton and weighing me down. I wish I could quit her…I wish I could just let her go because it would be so much easier. But when you want something so much it’s not supposed to be easy to get it. I’ve got to fight for her. Whoever this guy is with her better be her father, brother, gay friend or something. Fuck…I can’t see her.
* Shawn stands up looking. *
Brooke - Shawn! Sit down!
* Shawn doesn’t listen as he gets on his tip toes to get a further view. Brooke then pushes Shawn back down into his seat. *
Brooke - Shawn calm down! You can’t just get excited and go over there without some sort of idea of what you want to say.
Shawn - I’ll tell her how I feel.
Brooke - Do you even know how to put that into words Shawn? You’ve never been good about expressing yourself in a positive manner. Sure you can berate someone and tell them all their faults but have you ever complimented anyone?
Shawn - I…I’ve said I loved her that’s like the most important thing.
Brooke - You say that all the time, how’s anyone supposed to know when you’re actually telling the truth? Shawn…tell me…what would you say to Hannah? What compliment would you give her?
Shawn - Um…you don’t look nearly as fat as I thought you would?
Yeah I knew that was bad the moment it came out of my mouth. Brooke’s right. I’m brash, I’m arrogant, and I can belittle anyone’s achievements like a pro but when it comes to telling someone what I really feel for them isn’t something I have experience in. It’d be like giving a promo as a green rookie that all he has as a comeback is: “I know what you are but what am I?” I’m like reading at a 1st grade level here.
Brooke - Seriously? That’s your best effort? You’re going to get slapped in the face with shit like that. You sound like Dad on his last anniversary.
Shawn - Ok one…I’m not Dad! Fuck Dad! He wouldn’t know how to express emotion for his life. Let alone ever tell me he was proud of me.
Yeah…to say I had a tough childhood would be bullshit. I grew up rich in Louisville, Kentucky with only my Mother as a source of high self esteem. My dad would never show up to my baseball games or football games. Never took me for ice cream after hitting a game winning single. I never faulted him for it until I grew up and began to do everything I could to go against his wishes. He wanted me and my brother Marcus to follow in his footsteps into being a Doctor. My brother Marcus turns out to be doing so. Me? I dropped out of college after a year and became who I am today. Richer than my father. More successful than my father. Resented by my father. Looks like the apple truly didn’t fall far from the tree as I’m incapable of the same emotions as my father. The beginning of my whole career was to spite him. Not to show him how I wanted his love. I don’t want his love I was his envy. I want him to look at me and see that I am better than him. Which is one of the reasons why I burned every bridge I had with my own flesh and blood because he still couldn’t admit that I did better in life than he did. He would throw failed marriages in my face to try and belittle my accomplishments, something I’m familiar with doing to others. He speaks in a way to justify his beliefs that I’m no good. No Dad…you’re no good. Which is why I don’t miss you one bit. Fuck you, fuck Marcus, fuck Mom…you disown me? I disowned you when I became better than you.
Shawn - And two…fuck you for even saying something like that. You know how me and Dad don’t get along.
Brooke - You act like you’re the only child to have ever been disowned and forgotten about.
Shawn - I’m probably the only one that’s World Champion.
Brooke - There are children dying somewhere Shawn. Save the sympathy for someone who needs it.
Shawn - Fine…I’ll send a penny a day to Guadalajara or wherever there are dying children to save one alright?
Brooke - Shit, I don’t care. I’m just saying nobody is gonna feel sorry for you. Now what are you going to say to Hannah when you go over there?
Shawn - I don’t know alright? Listen, I’m Shawn Winters. I am charming, I’m sexy, I‘m cute, I’m smart.
* Brooke just stares at him a glare. *
Shawn - Ok…so I’m not THAT smart. All those other things I am though. I know how to handle women. I’ve handled them my entire life.
* Shawn goes for a high five only to realize he’s with his sister and not Greaternity. He lowers his hand. *
Shawn - Alright…I’m going in.
Brooke - Good luck.
Shawn - Don’t need it! I’m Shawn Winters!
I wish I had a few drinks in my system before this to drown my heart beat a little bit. I don’t think I’ve ever been so nervous.
* Shawn makes his way through the crowd of tables and waiters and waitress’ before spotting Hannah and a guy that he now knows isn’t her father or brother. Don’t think it’s a gay friend either. Shawn notices her stomach which has gotten larger. *
Holy shit…that…that’s my child. I never knew exactly what I’d be feeling about it until I actually saw it forming in Hannah’s stomach. I wonder if it’s a boy or a girl? Doubt she knows yet it’s barely been 4 months. Holy shit…I’m frozen. I stopped walking. I stopped moving. Move you jackass! Make a step! Do something!
* Right then Shawn see’s that the guy paid for lunch while he and Hannah get to their feet. Hannah turns around to see a frozen Shawn Winters standing in front of her. She’s stunned to see him. Not happy, not angry, just stunned. *
Hannah - Shawn…what are-um…hows it going?
Damn it, I don’t know what to say. Say something you idiot. Anything…just say something because standing here like a moron isn’t going to help you any. Any…words…possible…to…form…a…sentence….ready…..go!
Shawn - He should be me!
Hannah - Excuse me?
Don’t make this worse, please don’t!
Shawn - This douche bag right here is out on a date with my wife! He should be me! Nobody should be out on a date with my wife but me! You are still legally married to me and pregnant with my child yet you’re off joining eHarmony or something getting some date with a random guy for lunch? What’s going to happen now? He paid for lunch and now he’s going to put his dick inches away from my child’s face?! I believe that’s considered rape but I’ll have to compare notes with Chris Hansen on that one.
Hannah - What business of this is yours?!
Shawn - All of it! You’re my wife and pregnant with my child! I should know exactly what you’re doing when you’re doing it. If you have a bowel movement I should be notified!
OH MY GOD! Stop talking! Please stop talking! I don’t want to be notified of that!
Hannah - You have some nerve you piece of shit! I am only legally your wife because you haven’t signed the papers because you’re scared of failure! You don’t care about me, you don’t love me, you just love yourself and don’t want to fail at something that you’ve actually made yourself believe that you want. The fact is Shawn…I’m too good for you. Who I’m with right now is none of your business and quite frankly I don’t think this child will be any of yours either because you’re clearly not fit to be a father. How can one take care of a child when one can’t take care of himself? You might not think so Shawn but you’ve failed before. This won’t be the first time because you’ve failed at life!
* Hannah and the guy she’s with brush by Shawn as he’s left speechless. *
I should of stayed quiet.
* Brooke is now standing by Shawn as they watch Hannah get into the guys car and drive away. *
Brooke - Did that go as well as you had hoped?
* Shawn looks down at her…now realizing that he is more than pissed off. He senses the sarcastic tone in Brooke’s voice which is there 80 percent of the time. *
Shawn - Fuck you.
* Shawn brushes past her before leaving the restaurant and his sister behind. *
* It is now late at night. 11 pm to be exact and Shawn is sitting alone at the edge of a bar. It’s a nicer bar in LA and Shawn is clearly underdressed. He frequents this bar quite often but usually wears a suit or some sort of dress clothes so his jeans, t-shirt, and dirty baseball cap isn’t quite up to par. However they know him and let him in anyways. Shawn has a beer bottle to his left and an empty shot glass that he’s twirling around with his finger. *
Alright so we’ve had quite a bit to drink but we’re not going to forget…not yet. So…what the fuck happened this afternoon? I’m out to what was supposed to be a great lunch with my little sister. Make sure schools going alright and that she’s staying away from any horny freshman. Don’t want her to end up on one of those college girls websites that Ethan has talked about jerking off to. Next thing you know she’s pregnant and my wife is dating another guy. Ok…well she was joking and well for all I know my wife is being fucked by some computer geek from the looks of it. I can’t keep going on like this. GET PISSED YOU IDIOT! You’re tired of this shit. Hannah has been a complete bitch about all of this.
Shawn - Yeah…
She hasn’t given you any chance to make up for what you’ve done. She had her mind made up a long time ago and no matter how good you are to her she’s never going to change it.
Shawn - Yeah…
The fact that she’s reduced to settling for some world of warcraft computer geek should symbolize the power you hold over her. She knows she’ll never get anyone as good as you again and she has to settle for the bottom of the barrel via fear of getting hurt. He won’t leave her…where would he go?
Shawn - Yeah…fuck her…fuck Hannah. I fucking won!
Damn right you did! You fucking owned her so bad she’s reduced to middle income nerds that will do nothing more than supply her a normal life not a great life like you did. Enjoy it bitch you’re only going to get fatter! She wants to try and call me a failure? No…she’s the fucking failure. Pregnant? No husband? Well according to her anyways. Her life is already past it’s prime and mine? Heh, I’m a man I don’t get baby weight. I don’t get pregnant. I stay good looking and the scary thing is the older I get the sexier I get. I am Shawn Winters and I am all that is man. Any woman that want’s to even look at me? Fuck them. Fuck all women. They’re all nothing more than maggots that want to suck you dry for every penny that you’re worth. Gay guys? They got it right. They don’t have to deal with the pregnancies, the periods, the constant nagging. No…Gay guys have it all figured out. That’s it…from now on I’m Gay!
Shawn - Yeah….wait what? That thought did not just cross my mind.
Damn right it did! You’re gay! No more women! Fuck women! Hit on that guy at the pool table!
* Shawn gets up and walks over to the guy playing pool the guy gives him a look and winks only for Shawn to turn back around and sit back at the bar. *
Yup…we’re not gay.
Shawn - No shit!
* Shawn finishes his beer and orders a couple more shots as well as another beer. *
Alright maybe we’re going about this the wrong way. We haven’t been laid in a while so our mindset could be a bit off balance. At least we know we’re not gay. What we do know is we hate women. That we do know.
* The bartender brings Shawn his drinks and Shawn grabs a hand full of cash and throws it at her. *
Shawn - Get naked bitch! Dance monkey!
* The bartender looks disgusted before walking away. *
Ok…maybe too far. We clearly need to figure out boundaries.
??? - Shawn?
* Shawn hears his name as he’s clearly not quite aware of his surroundings at the moment spins around in his stool to see Phil Hesser. Hannah’s brother. He’s trying to look under the bill of Shawn’s hat to make sure it’s him. Shawn looks upwards drunkingly to give him a view of his face. *
Phil - How’s it going man?
* Phil takes a seat next to him at the bar. He’s a good guy. Last time he had spoken to him was about 5 months ago at Hannah’s parents anniversary party. Phil was having troubles with women and Shawn helped him, guided him on his way to get laid that very night. He hasn’t seen him since. *
Shawn - Surprised you’re talking to me. Your family hates me.
Phil - Yeah they kind of do.
* Phil orders a drink. The bartender gives him a beer eyeing Shawn the whole time. *
Phil - Crazy running into you here.
Shawn - Why’s that?
Phil - Cuz I heard the episode you and Hannah had this afternoon.
Shawn - Got to love how good news travels fast.
Phil - Heh…yeah. It’s weird isn’t it? Seeing her…ya know…showing.
Shawn - I…I didn’t know what to do…or say.
Oh…now you say that?! Where was that this afternoon?!
Phil - Well by not knowing what to say I hear you said quite a lot.
Shawn - I…I don't know what it is. Whenever I see Hannah now I’m not able to be myself.
Phil - Why is that?